Who doesn’t have tacos on a Tuesday, well us sometimes, but the last few Tuesdays we have definitely made up for it!
I have been watching a show on Netflix completely dedicated to tacos its called Taco Chronicles. Its an amazing journey into the world of tacos. I had no idea on the variety of flavours involved with this little guys! From authentic Mexican food to American style Mexican food, your eyes will feast on a vast array of flavours and colours and definitely will be enticing you into making everyday taco Tuesday!
A while back I found a recipe on the internet for slow cooked pulled beef tacos. Up until then I had always used minced beef, slow cooking slabs of meat and shredding them for tacos and sandwiches is totally on another level. I am new to slow cooking and definitely a novice, though I am learning how to blend flavours and adjust cooking times to get the just right tenderness. Now that I am learning I don’t think I will go back to just quickly frying up some mince and there you go!
I have been buying brisket meat for a while now and slow cooking it. I don’t know all that much about meat and I mainly prefer chicken, brisket is definitely a meat that is better slow cooked and depending on how long you cook it , it can be made into a corned beef style meat, either flaked or cut into slices or cook for longer and you get the delicious pulled beef everyone seems to be craving these days! Its also inexpensive and the slabs of meat can be cut into smaller portions and frozen until you need to cook them. Perfect for the whole family.
Well enough of me raving on. Below is a recipe I have adapted to suit our tastes. Its perfect for tacos, burritos, hero sandwiches, salads, anywhere you would normally use pulled beef.
1kg Wagyu beef brisket
2 tablespoons BBQ meat rub
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons brown sugar
salt to taste
2 cups water
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon smoked BBQ sauce
1 punnet grape or cherry tomatoes
1 large green capsicum )bell pepper cut into large chunks
- Place brisket on clean surface and gently pat with paper towel or clean cloth to dry any liquid from the packaging.
- In a bowl combine BBQ meat rub, smoked paprika, cumin, brown sugar and salt, take handfuls of the mixture and rub onto the top of the brisket slab. Set aside in the fridge for approx 20 minutes to half hour. ( mixture should look absorbed into the meat)
- In the meantime in a large slow cooker combine water, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, BBQ sauce and ketchup. Mix together until combined. Add chopped tomatoes and capsicum and mix again.
- Gently place beef into slow cooker and add more water if necessary to ensure the liquid covers the whole brisket. Set on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Once cooked gently remove from slow cooker and either slice of pull beef, use immediately or place in bags to store in refrigerator or freezer for later use.
And basically that’s it! Its a simple recipe that you can put together the night before and slow cook ready for the next day or on a weekend too. I haven’t used any garlic or onion as these ingredients don’t do well for us health wise, but if you like them you can add them in if you want.
Well as always thank you for reading my post. Sorry its been a while since I have put up any recipes, its been a hectic few months. Hopefully once things slow down I can add more. Have a wonderful day everyone!