Cooking dinner during the week can be a challenge. How do you feed your family a healthy meal in the short amount of time you have available to cook during the week?
I find the ready to cook range from Woolworths a godsend. They have a really great tasting cauliflower pizza base ready to be baked, all you need to do is add your favourite toppings! The cauliflower base is low gi/low carb which is a great start if you are watching your sugar levels or weight. It has a great taste which will even be a winner with the younger children and best of all you can buy a few and freeze them so you have them ready at any time. Below is a quick recipe which I like to use when making pizza’s using the cauliflower base.
Vegetarian Supreme Pizza
Ingredients – Pizza Sauce
1 x 750ml bottle Italian passata
1 x 400g diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt/pepper to taste
If you wish add 1/2 diced onion and 1 glove of garlic if wanted
- Place oil in the bottom of a heavy based pan, add oregano and if you wish onion and garlic. Lightly fry for a few seconds to allow oil to coat oregano or onion or garlic.
- Add passatta and diced tomato. Stir and allow to boil
- Once boiled reduce to simmer and simmer for half hour. If sauce thickens up too much add some water to thin out. Once cooked thoroughly (oil should come up to the surface) set aside
Pizza topping ingredients
1/2 cup fresh chopped tomatoes
1/2 large capsicum diced
1/4 cup sliced black olives
2 sliced plant based cheese or 1/2 cup grated plant based cheese
1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Place thawed pizza base in oven 180 degrees Celsius and bake for 5-10 mintues.
- Remove from oven and top with pizza sauce, cheese, tomatoes, capsicum, olives and oregano
- Return to oven and bake at 180 degrees Celsius until cheese is melted and toppings are cooked.
- Serve with garlic gluten free bread.
Hope this recipe takes some of the stress out of preparing a weekly meal. I will put up a few more recipes soon to help you navigate weekday meals.
Thank you for reading my posts.