I know recently I promised you a chicken pie recipe, I am still working on that….But this well it couldn’t wait, after all its cake and cake with two types of chocolate in it!
Yesterday my youngest finished high school and I had promised him a grand dinner to celebrate finishing his 12 plus years at that dreaded place as he calls it. I thought I was doing well getting things organised when my daughter said “mum what about the cake!” (Insert face palm here) How could I forget a cake! I couldn’t believe it. I had an hour left until dinner and there was no way I could run out and get one! So I thought well I will just try and whip one up. With no time to look through recipe books, I came up with this recipe, a one bowl recipe that is quick to put together and only takes 30 minutes bake. So without further ado, here it is!
Vanilla Swirl Cake
Recipe by: Vickys Handrafted Designs
450g Self Raising flour
175g Caster Sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 Olive oil
375 ml milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon essence
50 g milk chocolate
50g dark chocolate
Prep time: 10 minutes Baking time: 25-30 minutes
(See end of post of nutritional information)
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Spray a 20 cm round cake tin with oil and line bottom with baking paper.
- In a large glass bowl, sift flour then add caster sugar. Mix with wooden spoon so that the sugar is evenly distributed amoungst the flour
- Add eggs, oil, milk, vanilla and lemon essenses and mix with wooden spoon until ingredients are incorporated and mix is free of lumps, use hand mixer if you prefer.
- Pour mixture into cake tin and set aside
- In a heatproof bowl, break the milk and dark chocolate into peices, microwave on high heat in 10 second intervals until chocolate starts to melt. Once it starts to melt, take out of microwave and mix to combine chocolate into a smooth mixture.
- Drizzle into cake mixture and with a toothpick or skewer run it through the mixture in a figure eight formation to distribute chocolate through cake.
- Place in heated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Check cake after 20 minutes as some ovens cook faster than others.
- Serve with berries and your favourite ice cream or fudge topping.
Nutritional Information (per serving size)
Each serve equals : 70.8g
Net Carbs: 70.8g
Fat: 14.2 g
Dietary Fibre: 2.2g
And there you have it, a one bowl, easy to put together cake, you can whip it up and serve it to your guests in 40 minutes! Hope you enjoyed this recipe. Let me know if you tried it. It’s a new recipe so I am curious as to how it goes for you guys.
Thank you for reading this post as always and I will try and get this chicken pie recipe to you as soon as I can.